Article

“The Spider” Bites Back – Anderson Silva KOs Belfort

Anderson Silva retained his middleweight title with a first round knockout of Vitor Befort
LAS VEGAS, February 5 – Vitor Belfort was widely considered to be the most dangerous threat to Anderson Silva’s middleweight title reign. So Silva did what you’re supposed to do to such threats – he eliminated him immediately, knocking out Belfort in the first round to retain his crown for the eighth time Saturday night in the UFC 126 main event at the Mandalay Bay Events Center. In the process, Silva broke a tie with Matt Hughes for most successful title defenses in UFC history. See post-fight interview

“That’s just one of the tricks I was working on,” said Silva, who, for all intents and purposes, ended the bout with a spectacular front kick to the chin.

The chants of “Vitor, Vitor” came from the rafters as soon as referee Mario Yamasaki called the two fighters to battle, but there would be no initial fireworks, as the two cautiously circled each other for the first 90 seconds until Belfort landed a range-finding leg kick. At the midway point, with still no meaningful action, Silva began showboating, with Belfort finally firing off a 1-2. Moments later, Belfort caught a Silva kick and the two tumbled to the mat. They rose quickly, and Silva, significantly warmed up, eluded a Belfort haymaker and came back with a blistering left front kick to the chin that dropped “The Phenom.”  Quickly moving in, Silva landed a 1-2 on his prone foe, and that was enough for Yamasaki to call a halt to the bout as the 3:25 mark.

“He caught me with a great kick,” said Belfort. “Anderson Silva is a great fighter. I’ll be back.”

With the win, Silva improves to 28-4; Belfort falls to 19-9.
Sunday, February 1
3AM
GMT
Las Vegas, Nevada

Media

Recent
Former Strikeforce champion Nick Diaz talks about his upcoming fight against UFC legend Anderson Silva, why he's decided not to trash talk, and the perspective he gained during his time away from the Octagon.
Jan 30, 2015
UFC Embedded is an all-access, behind-the-scenes video blog leading up to the UFC 183: Silva vs. Diaz superfight, taking place Saturday, January 31 on Pay-Per-View.
Jan 29, 2015
Nick Diaz, Anderson Silva, Kelvin Gastelum, Tyron Woodley, Al Iaquinta, and Joe Lauzon were among the fighters that spoke to the media at the UFC 183 Media Day. Hear from the fighters in these highlights.
Jan 29, 2015
Ian McCall-John Lineker and Ed Herman-Derek Brunson were both previously scheduled bouts that had to be cancelled because of sickness. All four fighters are looking forward to this chance to make up for lost time at UFC 183.
Jan 29, 2015