BC, June 11 - Cain
Velasquez and Junior
dos Santos have
been on a collision course for a very long time. Their dream matchup
became reality on Saturday night at Rogers Arena as dos Santos
battered and bloodied Shane
three rounds and immediately thereafter was offered a shot at
Velazquez’s heavyweight title while standing in the Octagon with
the champ. See post-fight interview
“That’s awesome. Thank God for that,” said dos Santos (13-1). “Much respect for Cain Velasquez, but Cain, I’m coming for you.”
The unbeaten Velasquez (9-0) is presently recovering from surgery on his rotator cuff and the date of his return is unknown.
“I feel great,” the typically humble and soft-spoken Velasquez said. “He (dos Santos) showed awesome standup in this fight like always and he’s always improving.”
Carwin, who has claimed all 12 of his victories in the first round, was supposed to represent a stiff test to the Brazilian stablemate of UFC middleweight champ Anderson Silva and the Nogueira brothers,Rodrigo and Rogerio. But the speedier Dos Santos rocked and cracked the 254-pound Coloradan with hard punches for much of the 15 minutes.
Early on, it looked like Carwin would not make out of the first round when dos Santos put him on the canvas with a wicked combination. Dos Santos pounced and wailed away with dozens more blows, but an embattled Carwin (12-2) gamely fought on and laid to rest any questions about his cardio – which betrayed him in a loss to Brock Lesnar last year but was much improved (this fight marked the first time Carwin has ever gone into the third round of a fight).
The former NCAA Division II wrestling champ, who trimmed down for this bout, succeeded at taking dos Santos down twice but could not hold him there very long. In fact, dos Santos even managed to take a profusely bleeding Carwin down twice in the third round – the latter time with a hard slam.
“I’m improving my wrestling also, so be careful my opponents,” dos Santos said.
Judges saw the fight 30-27, 20-27 and 30-26 for dos Santos.